Sunday, July 5, 2009

Down Home Chicken Enchiladas

Ok, so I know that it seems like all I do is chicken recipes, but I love the poultry! Plus it makes for healthier dishes and you can use it SO many ways. I promise I will post entries with other meats in the recipe (and even some veg). But I felt the need to post this one since I made a batch for my co-workers tonight and they all want the recipe! I got rave reviews and it's a melt in your mouth kind of enchilada. I guarantee! So, try this one next time you're craving some tex mex and let me know on here how yours turns out!
I have also made this with lean ground beef/turkey before and it tastes very good too. I like to use red enchilada sauce in place of green sauce for the ground meat. Try both sometime!
The recipe:
(this serves approx 7-8ppl)

2lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1pkg of tortillas, or approximately 16 (whole wheat type is VERY tasty and healthier)
1 jar salsa
1 pkg shredded cheese (I like all kinds, esp the "fiesta blend")
1 tub light sour cream
1 can green chile enchilada sauce
1 can cream of chicken condensed soup
2 cans (or 1lg can) fat free refried beans
chili powder (or mexican spice blend)

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 deg. In large skillet, heat 1tbsp olive oil. Cut chicken into strips and add to heated skillet. Sprinkle each side with chili powder. Cook each side of chicken for approx 5 min or until brown. Let chicken cool for approx 20 min. Meanwhile, add soup, enchilada sauce and 1/2 c sour cream to saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. When chicken is completely cooled, shred the chicken with fingers and place in to a large bowl. Add 1 cup of salsa, 1 cup shredded cheese and 1 cup of sour cream to the bowl and mix well. Spoon mixture on to the tortillas, roll up, and place seam side down onto a greased pan (or ungreased silicone if you have it). Place each enchilada tightly together side by side. Gently pour mixture from saucepan over the enchiladas, sprinkle some shredded cheese over the top, and place in the oven for approximately 15min, or until cheese is melted. Let cool for 5 min before serving.

For the beans, mix refried beans, a handful of shredded cheese and 3/4 c sour cream in a saucepan. Let simmer until warmed thoroughly. For a faster cooking route, place beans and sour cream in a microwaveable dish and cook for approx 4-5 min, stirring occasionally. The sour cream added to the beans gives them a smoother, creamier texture, making them taste like the ones you eat at your fav Mexican restaurant. The only difference is they use lard to make theirs taste so great!

No comments:

Post a Comment